‘I was misquoted…’ Johnson reacts to Kaizer Chiefs win

E

Eliot Mahlase

Kaizer Chiefs coach Cavin Johnson says he was quoted when his side lost to Richards Bay last week.

After the defeat, it was alleged that a fight among Chiefs players broke out in the dressing room. On Saturday, the Glamour Boys displayed a brilliant performance to beat SuperSport United 2-1.

Speaking to the media, Johnson said the Chiefs’ performance was not inspired by the fight when asked.

“I think before I say anything according to that I think that was misquoted,” he said.

“We all read the papers, but I think that was a misquote from somebody that said my players are arguing. No they’re not arguing.”

Johnson leads Chiefs to their second win of the year​

“It’s a normal conversation that you have 95% of the game and you can’t score the goals. It’s normal for players to ask each other or to find out from me but it was quoted that we were arguing.

“I don’t think that is the right message to send to my 16 million supporters.

“So they were not arguing, they were talking about how we’re going to get better. And yes we went back to the drawing board. We tried it, we fixed it, not fixed it but we trained a little bit more on how they must finish.

Johnson’s task at Kaizer Chiefs is to help the club finish in the top eight. Having won his second game of the year, the 65-year-old mentor said he was happy with how his team played.

“And today, Saile scores the goal that he scores every day at training. Other days in other games he doesn’t score the same goal.

“Shabba scores a goal today but in the training we set up the drills and the one drill is specifically for technique only and today he uses the technique,” Johnson said on his Chiefs young midfielder.

“A goal that you think is coming with power comes with technique goes pass. We are happy because at least we got two today.

“Last week we got zero. The week before we got zero goals but we still played good football,” said Johnson as per iDiski Times.

Johnson insists he was misquoted​

Kaizer Chiefs next play Sundowns in a DStv Premiership clash. The Brazilians are so far unbeaten in the league and could wrap up the title if they beat Amakhosi on Thursday.

Johnson has just five matches around to see if he can end his Chiefs tenure on a high.

Continue reading...

Back