Coetzer, Van Zyl break through at Sun City

G

golfeditor

Trophy-3-300x200.jpg

Lisa Coetzer from Ekurhuleni and Mpumalanga’s Alieka van Zyl both went wire-to-wire at the Lost City Golf Course to win the Championship and Silver Divisions respectively in the 2024 Nomads SA Girls Rose Bowl Championship, presented by Sun International; pictured with Nomads South Africa National Chairman Peter Runkel; credit GolfRSA.

29 March 2024 – Ekurhuleni’s Lisa Coetzer and Alieka van Zyl from Mpumalanga scooped the honours in the 2024 Nomads SA Girls Rose Bowl presented by Sun International with outstanding performances at Sun City in March.

CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION
Lisa Coetzer had been trending towards her a first national breakthrough in the month leading up to her wire-to-wire triumph in the Championship Division at the Lost City Golf Club.

In February, the 14-year-old Benoni teenager held her own against South Africa’s leading amateurs to finish fifth in the prestigious SA Women’s Stroke Play and the GolfRSA International Amateur Championships, followed by a runner-up finish in the North West Women’s Open Championship.

She arrived at Sun City fresh from a 30-shot victory in the Ebotse Links Club Championship, and immediately threw down the gauntlet with a pacesetting two-under 70 in the morning and 69 in the afternoon on day one to pull five shots clear.

On the final day, the GolfRSA National Squad member produced another 69 to waltz to a seven-shot victory on eight-under 208.

Liza-Coetzer-10-300x200.jpg

2024 Nomads SA Girls Rose Bowl Championship, presented by Sun International – Championship Division winner Lisa Coetzer; credit GolfRSA

Coetzer not only finished the tournament as the only player to break par in all the rounds, but she only surrendered seven shots in 54 holes – a huge improvement on her performance 12 months ago where Coetzer dropped 21 shots in rounds of 78, 76 and 78.

“It’s really down to course management and hard work paying off,” said the delighted champion. “I put a lot of work into my game and my mental game in the last year, and it’s a great feeling to see it coming together like this. I drove the ball well throughout, and I kept it in play, which is key to scoring well at the Lost City. I gave myself chances with good iron shots and wedges into the greens and the putter did the rest.”
Coetzer lauded the significant role the Nomads Golf Club of South Africa plays in developing and growing the game in South Africa.

“Nomads does so much for junior golf and to give us the opportunity to compete at this level and I am really proud to be a champion of this prestigious tournament. To win at this prestigious venue and against such a strong field is incredible,” she said.

SILVER DIVISION

Trophy-8-300x200.jpg

2024 Nomads SA Girls Rose Bowl Championship, presented by Sun International – Silver Division winner Alieka van Zyl; credit GolfRSA

Mbombela’s Alieka van Zyl celebrated a dream debut in the Silver Division at the Lost City Golf Course with a six-shot victory over Kaitlyn Rix from the Western Province.

The 16-year-old from Mpumalanga took the lead on day one with rounds of 83 and 82 and, keeping a cool head under pressure on the final day, she closed out victory with a three-over-par 75.

“I just love this course,” Van Zyl said. “It’s quite long, but I love the layout and it suits my game. My only expectation to play my best golf. I made a strong start and then it all came together in the last round. I stuck to my own game plan, and played to my strengths and it feels really good to get this one in the bag.”

The post Coetzer, Van Zyl break through at Sun City appeared first on Golf RSA.

Continue reading...

Back